Beef Barley Stew
From The Good Food Cookbook for Dogs by Donna Twichell Roberts, published by Quarry Books
2 quarts water, divided
1 cup barley
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb. ground beef (or 1 lb. boneless beef, cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice
1 quart beef broth
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup macaroni (uncooked)
1 small head cabbage, quartered and thinly sliced
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil over high heat in a 3-quart saucepan. Add barley, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 45 to 50 minutes until all water has been absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in an 8-quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, until meat is brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, remaining 5 1/2 cups water and beef broth. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add macaroni and cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cabbage and cooked barley.
- Makes 8 quarts. Recipe may be doubled.