Friday, January 25, 2013

brrrrr!


This Southern girl isn't build for cold weather, but my chickens seem to be doing just fine. Now, if you're reading this at a computer in Wisconsin, you're going to think I'm a big baby complaining about weather in the mid-30's. But please keep in mind that I come from a long line of Southerners, and it is my firm belief that through the generations, natural selection has been at work. As a result, I am now less adapted to cold weather. That sounded all science-y and reasonable, right?

This is my first winter with hens, and although it's been difficult (for me), I've intentionally kept myself from providing extra heat for the girls as the temperatures have dropped.

The truth is - and I know seasoned chicken keepers will agree - that chickens can survive just fine in the colder temperatures as long as they're protected from drafts and they have good ventilation. In fact, my girls are much happier on these chilly days than they are on our steamy, 100+ degree days we have here in South Carolina. But that doesn't stop this gal from having the urge to round them up and bring them in the house so they'll stay nice and toasty warm.

The dogs, on the other hand, want nothing to do with this freezing weather. Clearly they take after me.

No comments:

Post a Comment